Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Color Project

Sketch 


At first I had trouble deciding on what theme I wanted and what medium I wanted. At first I was going to do a hot air balloon which would incorporate the theme explore. But after thinking about it I decided I wanted to do something that I actually liked. I chose to do a turtle because it is my favorite sea creature; which falls under the theme of creature. I have incorporated this theme by doing an underwater sea creature.

After figuring out what I wanted to draw I was not sure on what medium I wanted to do. At first I wanted to do the turtle rainbow with watercolor on its shell. When I finished sketching it in my sketch book I really didn't like the way it turned out. So instead I decided to use oil pastel for the turtle's shell. On the feet and head I did watercolor with oil pastel on top. I chose to do this so that the oil pastel stood out on top of the watercolor. For the background of the painting I chose to do an ombre of blue, starting from the top corner with a very light blue and going to the bottom corner with a dark almost black blue.


The difficulties I have had so far are making the ombre in the background so that it is a smooth transition to light blue to dark blue. I also had difficulties with the head and making it to look realistic.

I think my piece was successful because I incorporated the theme of using a turtle as a creature. The areas that I am most proud of are the shell and the head. I liked the shell because I used different shades of red, yellow, and orange to color in the different shapes that made up the shell. I am post proud of the head because of mixing watercolor and the oil pastel it made the head look realistic.

If I could go back and change one thing it would be to draw lighter so that the pencil didn't show around the shapes of the turtle's shell.

From this project I learned that if you put watercolor first and then go back over with oil pastel it makes the object stand out more.
Finished Turtle 



No comments:

Post a Comment